Tuesday, December 23, 2008

When it's Christmas Time in Oklahoma.....

I was just reading Redneck Diva's blog concerning what is redneck, and it made me wonder....is what happened at Thanksgiving considered redneck? Cuz it just seems like normal to me....and that makes me wonder....what has happened to the prissy missy I used to be? At my mom's at Tgiving, my two male cousins from T-town came down (or up, as the case may be), and one of the boys had his girlfriend with him....his girlfriend most of us have not met. Very trendy, seemed nice, but I live in small-town-Oklahoma, even worse I think than small town Oklahoma. Now, I am not saying that the girl had probably not seen a real live horse before....I didn't really talk to her that long. I am just saying that judging from what she did talk about....the chances are quite slim. My parents live across from what used to be a happening place in our little town....the rodeo arena. The people who own this piece of land and the houses around it are quite well-known here in Little Town, Ok. I don't know that I would call them rednecks, but possible. When I was getting ready to leave Mom's, I was standing in front of a big window that faced the arena. I could see/hear the backhoe running....it was pulling into the front gate of the arena. I could also see that it was carrying something....and I was really trying to figure out what it could be, just looking through the ...whatever those sheer curtains are called (it's late, shut up). Finally, I went to the door and walked out onto the front steps......and seriously, I almost laughed my a$$ off. The neighbors had a fiberglass, inground pool shell on the end of the backhoe, and they had ended up in my parents' ditch and pretty much up in the yard. I thought they were going to get stuck up in the yard and leave the pool half in the yard/half in the ditch. And I knew, just knew, my mom was going to lose her shit and cuss in front of Cousin's girlfriend. Good times were about to be had. Yes, I am evil. Shut up. So I go in laughin my a$$ off and tell my mother what was going on, and sure enough, she went flying out the door to yell at the neighbors who probably wouldn't hear her anyway. There had to be at least 30 people out in their yard. After they got the pool into the arena, they took it to the northwest corner and torched it. That's right...you read it...TORCHED IT!!! In my small town, some...ahem....older people have nothing better to do with their lives than to listen to those police/fire scanners...or than to simply look out the window (the blaze/smoke could be seen at least 2 miles away) and then call everyone they knew or getting in their cars, and possibly on their cell phones because EVERYONE has one these days, and calling everyone they knew while driving by the arena which by the way is just on the edge of town before it turns into county roads.....so everyone circled my mom's block while rubbernecking the big flames. To top it all off, an environmental officer lives like 2 or 3 houses down from the arena, but he came screeching up in his car, made a gravel-spraying U-turn and proceeded to take pictures of the fire. At which point, the neighbors heckled him while they were standing around in the yard drinking their beers and maybe contemplating breaking out the hot dogs and sticks??? It was simply...awesome. What do you think? Redneck? Or just typical small-town?

1 comment:

Redneck Diva said...

How did I not know you had a blog??????